Reporting directly to a Purchase Manager or Senior Buyer, the role is primarily responsible for the commercial management of a portfolio of parts and / or services that are required within a particular manufacturing location.
The role will be required to have an in depth understanding of the supply market to ensure that new parts are purchased competitively and all opportunities for cost reduction are highlighted and delivered.
The role is also accountable for ensuring that the supply base within that category is capable of meeting the quality and delivery expectations of the business.
The role may also include the responsibility of becoming a ‘Lead Buy’ which would then also include the responsibility of creating category and / or supplier strategies, managing negotiations for the Group, supporting escalations, and ensuring that all Buying Teams are fully aligned and all acting consistently.
It is imperative that the person in this role is able to build constructive relationships with the supply base as well as internal stakeholders.
Key Performance Area’s:
Strategy Development & Execution: Responsible for delivery of sourcing strategy for each category area and working with the key stakeholder in executing the projects.
Supplier Performance & Delivery: Working closely with the NPI, Engineering and Operational teams to ensure that supplier performance is maintained to the required standards.
Teamwork & Self Development: Integrates with the BU operational and pricing teams and drives personal development.
Supply Base Management & Coordination: Have a detailed market knowledge of the supply base and ensure that when acting as a ‘Lead Buy’ the suppliers are always communicated to in a consistent manner that is aligned to the overall strategy.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Strategic Development & Execution:
- Establishes ways to identify and quantify opportunities to reduce the cost of products and services for each category area.
- Awareness of technological and market changes which can result in delivering total cost improvements and implement best practise.
- Liaise with stakeholders conducting an assessment of business requirements to ensure that they can deliver sourcing strategy plans.
- Deliver robust implementation plans in line with the sourcing strategy. These plans should support, but not be limited to:
Effective early supplier engagement.
Cost Saving projects
Supplier performance target
Monitors progress of strategies and modifies in line with the changing business environment.
- Identify & implement supplier performance management measures, and manage these to ensure improvement.
- Implement the supply contracts and service level agreements with all suppliers in line with the approved strategy.
Supplier Performance & Delivery:
- Develops working relationship with key suppliers ensuring that performance targets are met.
- Ensure that the supply base supporting the manufacturing site and / or category are communicated appropriately with regards to forward planning and significant volume fluctuations.
- Support the launch activities required within the category and / or manufacturing location to ensure the supply base meets the timing, quality and cost expectations of a relevant programme.
- To act on alerts created from the continuous risk assessment process and to ensure Business Continuity plans are in place with appropriate suppliers.
Teamwork & Self Development:
- Ensure that there is effective communication between all aspects of the supply chain function.
- Addresses performance issues with supply base relating to their category delivery.
- Understands the business performance requirements and effectively communicates to the supply base.
- Provides support to the category managers as required.
- Drives their personal development.
- Ensures adherence to and understanding of Purchasing policies and procedures.
Supply Base Management & Coordination:
- When acting as ‘Lead Buy’, the following responsibilities are included but not limited to:
Leading Supplier Performance Reviews.
Leading Annual Negotiations.
Publishing Technology Road Map.
Agree Payment Terms.
Oversee Business Continuity Plans.
Manage Supplier Survey Feedback.
Agree appropriate LTA’s.
Define & Publish Communication Strategy.
Confirm Supplier Capacity.
Support Warranty Recovery Escalations.
Manage End of Life / Obsolescence Planning.
Lead Supplier Administration Mitigation.
Conduct Supplier Relationship Mgt (SRM)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrate effective multi-functional team working
- Influential dexterity
- Conflict resolution ability
- Results ownership
- Good negotiation skills
- Category & Supplier Management in a Global organisation
- Cost and pricing management
- Managing and implementing supply contracts
- Performance & Change management
- Financial awareness
- Contracting and contract management
Experience & Qualifications
- Purchasing in an Engineering and production environment
- Success in managing a multi-disciplinary team
- Holding and building relationships within a global and matrix organisation
- Engineering and/or Programme Management understanding
- Virtual Team Management
- Graduate calibre
- Preferably CIPS qualified
- Production or Engineering background
- Flexibility to travel