To provide electronic and mechanical design expertise to develop new designs of mechanical antenna positioner systems for new product offerings and to meet demanding customer specifications. Producing and expanding product lines of bespoke single or multi-axis positioner systems designed to move and orient antennas for defence, security, government, and commercial applications. In addition to detailed engineering design activities, work with RF, Mechanical and Electronic and Software Engineers to assist Sales, Commercial and Production departments to develop concepts, proposals, and solutions to meet customer expectations.
- Work individually or in teams alongside mechanical and electronic engineers to develop new antenna positioner systems.
- Lead electromechanical design including sizing and sourcing of appropriate motor, motor controller and supporting functions required to meet customer specifications.
- Work closely with Mechanical engineers and Environmental Test engineers to develop positioner systems for extreme environments.
- Where appropriate develop or work with Software engineers to produce control software and GUIs to control or evaluate positioner products.
- Produce and maintain wiring diagrams and electrical schematics and all design files for all developments.
- Develop software to control and evaluate positioner systems including documenting test procedures and producing test scripts.
- Undertake assembly and testing of prototype designs.
- Communicate with project managers, sales, procurement, commercial and production departments to ensure workflow remains on schedule.
- Participate in and lead design reviews and manage engineering change notes through the product development process in line with ISO 9001 procedures
- Create and maintain project and design documentation.
- Provide management information on design developments for reporting purposes as required.
- Adherence to all health, safety, environmental & quality policies and standards outlined by the company.
- Any other duties as the business requires.
Skills and Qualifications and experience:
- Engineering degree to at least Batchelor’s or equivalent experience
- Proven track record in electromechanical design, robotics, or automation control systems.
- Design of systems for harsh environments for military or defence applications is desirable.
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail is required.
- Ability to work autonomously on tasks and as part of larger interdisciplinary teams.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Ability to initiate, plan and organise.
- Proficient in using all Microsoft office packages in addition to suitable engineering tools including CST Microwave Studio or similar.
- Having a flexible and adaptable approach.
- Willingness to be hands-on.
- Curious – inquisitive and open minded; seeks out evolving and innovative ways to add value.
- Collaborative – able to work effectively and inclusively with a range of people.
- Driven to deliver – determined and resourceful to deliver the best results for the business.
- A completer, finisher.
- Seeks learning and development opportunities – takes the opportunity to acquire the knowledge, skills, and behaviours to be fully competent in the job role.