Principal Engineer CAD, Exterior Trim
Working in both pre and post vehicle programme KO phases, the Upper Body (UP) teams are responsible for engineering design, development & integration of the following vehicle zones on new vehicle programmes:
UP1 zone : Cockpit (IP, Console), Interior Trim, Seats & Restraints.
UP2 zone : BIW, Closures & Mechanisms, Exterior Trim, Lighting & Optical Quality (OQ)
The team may also be asked to lead and/or support innovation projects
The Principal CAD Engineer, Exterior Trim is responsible for technical delivery to cost, quality & time for tasks and activities assigned to them by their module team line manager
Note that any engineer may be asked to work in a non-core module area as project needs dictate. The successful candidate therefore should be able to demonstrate a flexible approach.
The PE Engineer for this role will ideally be able to demonstrate relevant engineering experience, gained from working on module area systems design & development, from concept to production. Candidate requirements include:
- Degree qualified or similar qualification as a minimum.
- CAD operation skills required – Expectation for engineer to be able to create and manipulate geometry for primary communication of concepts / schemes. (Expectation 90% time utilisation for geometry generation).
- Catia v5 / v6 operative skills, to be able to demonstrate high technical competence – Generation of 3D geometry & sectional data. (Key module utilisation: Part design & Geometric Surface design)
- Experience of using TCUA (Team Centre) & PLM preferable
- Engineering experience in delivery of the designated module systems in the automotive sector or similar industries
- Evidence of engineering skills, including ability to manage & resolve engineering issues
- Understands roles & needs of different client groups. Evidence of working effectively with cross-functional teams to achieve results
- Compliance with company procedures & quality standards
- Involvement in process improvements
- Highly motivated with good logical reasoning. Strong numeracy & literacy with good organisational & communication skills
- English language is essential, a second language would be advantageous
- Capable of overcoming cultural & inter-functional barriers
- A desire to strive for improvements to achieve high customer satisfaction
Main Activities & Tasks
- Support the Lead Engineer, Exterior Trim & Lighting in all day-to-day activities
- Support other activities as required
- Engineering BoM development. Cost / weight pack development. Weight BoM management
- PMXU generation – Part identification in BoM for unique or carryover status
- DFMEA & DVP creation & maintenance
- Design surface (CAS) feasibility ‘FC’ checks. Provide feasibility advice & guidance
- Engineering hard-point generation
- Participate in cross functional integration reviews for components & systems, considering technical application, form, function & harmonisation of the execution
- Develop timing plans
- Develop scope-of-work documents with key deliverables identified
- Drive closure of issues & establish the cost, weight & timing impacts
- Support the module deliverables through to the programme required gateway
- Development of engineering systems & quality systems
- Benchmarking of competitor vehicles & reporting of findings
- Support the generation / development of design rules & guidelines
- Deliver APC engineering project work for both parent company & 3rd party customers
- Interface with cross functional teams (Package, Analysis, Manufacturing, DVA etc) & implement recommendations where appropriate to create a right first time release
- Leading the development of the 3D and 2D models for exterior trim engineering.
- Storing and releasing data into TCUA and PLM.
- Support and development for automation in the generation of CAD of Multi Model Link
- Networks (also known as: Driver Model Networks or AVA Networks – Associative Vehicle
- Architecture/ Advanced Vehicle Architecture) – set-up demonstrations and roll out with the engineering team.
- Support and development for the generation & standardisation of models in the Catia.
- Set-up demonstrations and roll out with the engineering team