Technical Manager Bognor Regis // Automotive/Defence // Permanent
Technical Services Manager
The Company is evolving and growing in response to unprecedented success in supplying mission-critical vehicles, survivability systems and services to clients across the world, including Departments of Defence, Government Organisations, Non-Government Organisations and Original Equipment Manufacturers. Following the win of several major programmes, we are now looking to strengthen our Aftersales and Through Life Support capability in Support Services with the addition of a role dedicated to customer driven product development and technical support of in-service equipment.
The Technical Services Manager will work closely with the Support Services Manager, the Through Life Support Team and the customer and shall provide strong technical leadership with respect to product design investigation and change arising from customer upgrade requests, warranty trends and latent design deficiencies.
The role requires the individual to have broad automotive engineering experience that can be applied to mechanical and electrical systems, body, trim and particularly bespoke installations fitted to in service military vehicles and survivability systems. The predominant focus is likely to be on systems and installations rather than engine and drive train, however all round in-depth automotive knowledge is required in order to be effective in this role.
Together with exemplary attention to detail, a thorough and conscientious “hands on” approach and the flexibility to adapt to changing requirements, the responsibilities of the Technical Services Manager include:
· Requirement capture and impact assessment of the customer request, warranty trend or latent design deficiency.
· Production of solution requirement technical documentation and solutions to inform stakeholders and guide design development and estimation activities.
· Customers and stakeholder’s liaison.
· Quotation input and technical proposal development in support of the Support Services Manager.
· Change embodiment planning, tasking and management of stakeholders.
· Ensuring all customer needs and requirements are met.
· Having the foresight to see additional sales opportunities through post design service upgrades or in-service product offerings.
· Formal reporting, including but not limited to: task progress; workload; concerns and challenges.
· Directing delivery of the total solution including as applicable but not limited to: the design solution; product configuration change management; modification instruction and material; associated Integrated Logistic Support (ILS) deliverables; in-service change implementation; etc.
· Establishing sufficient labour resources (in consultation with management streams of field service labour pools and/or appoint contracted field service labour) to satisfy surge warranty demands.
· Role will be developed to include logistical planning, support and monitoring of deployed field service labour.
The Technical Services Manager shall report to Support Services Manager.
The role has no immediate direct reports but it is likely that the management of field service labour pool will be incorporated into this role in the near future.
The role requires an individual who:
· Understands the principles of applying changes to engineering baseline designs in a controlled manner.
· Has practical automotive experience of conducting impact assessments and coordinating change requests.
· Can build and maintain strong relationships with both staff, customers and end users in addition to an enthusiasm to contribute to all areas of the company when required.
· Has strong planning, organisational and administration skills.
· Thrives on working with several customers at one time whilst maintaining exemplary individual customer satisfaction.
· Is able to analyse current status of outstanding change and identify 'pinch-points' in the process and where management attention should be focussed.
· Will work in accordance with ISO 9001 process and procedures.
· Can operate effectively and decisively as an individual and in a team.
· Is prepared to get “hands on” as the need arises.
· Automotive, motorsport, or applicable engineering degree, or equivalent qualification. If an individual does not have this, they will be considered if they hold 15 years of experience relevant to this role.
· Demonstrable problem solving across a range of automotive systems.
· Military automotive experience is essential.
· Proven technical solution skills.
· Ability to communicate excellently with customer and suppliers.
· Practical automotive, hands on experience.
· Light armour engineering experience, desirable but not essential.
· Has ideally worked with defence customers.
· Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office tools.
· Use of SAP, desirable but not essential.
Applicants should possess the following core competencies:
· Professional - takes career seriously and considers the business dimensions of decisions carefully. Intellectually and analytically rigorous; displays high competence in chosen field and is trusted by the business to “do the right thing”.
The right candidate will need to have the ability to work under pressure and support the team, whilst keeping a positive "can do" attitude.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of duties, but it is intended to give a general indication of the range of work undertaken and will vary in detail in the light of changing demands and priorities within the Department.
In return we offer a competitive salary plus quality benefits, including early finish on Friday afternoons.
Candidates must be eligible for UK Security Clearance to minimum SC (‘Secret’) level.
With ability to work from home, the main place of work will be the company offices in West Susses but will require travel to other offices. Occasional UK and international travel would be required as part of this role.