Innovations Engineer/Development Engineer West Sussex // Available on Application // Contract
The Bespoke Innovations engineer is an exciting new role. Successful candidates will be responsible for the investigation of new technologies, materials, and processes to develop innovative and robust bespoke product solutions for the exterior and interior of the vehicle, that surpass our customer’s expectations The role will work alongside our innovations team made up of other mechanical and electrical engineers, as well as a team of highly skilled crafts men and women. Working together they take ideas from around the business from paper to a fully working prototype complete with detailed feasibility report.
Key accountabilities include:
• Seeking out innovative technologies and features that the company could implement in future Bespoke feature developments.
• Define technical Concepts and identify the extent of appropriate development activities in achieving a feasibility solution.
• Design, development, and approval responsibility for all Innovation vehicle content.
• Generation of packaging concept, BOM, Engineering specifications and engineering release for Innovations vehicle.
• Programme management of a collection of component developments.
• Generate and maintain development timing plans
• Specify appropriate International Legal, Safety & standards in collaboration with CoC where appropriate
• Specify specific Quality standard requirements.
• Complete warranty risk assessments
• Manage Bespoke Feature development activities of external suppliers, and/or internal departments (e.g. RR’s dept’s, Leathershop, Woodshop and Paintshop). Ensure prototype parts are produced & validated to defined testing regimes within agreed timelines.
• Collaborate with internal Workshops, Leathershop, Woodshop, Paintshop, Analysis departments in the development of component/system specifications.
• Ensure component validations and subsequent approvals are obtained by our suppliers and partners in preparation of Engineering release activities.
• Manage innovation and development activities at suppliers to ensure they deliver Bespoke Components on time, on budget and to the specified quality.
· A self-motivated individual with a Flexible approach to delivering Targets is sought
· Experience of Automotive Manufacturing processes and Tooling options, preferably low and high-volume facilities.
· Good CAD (Catia V5) competence.
· Extensive knowledge of international automotive relevant legislation
· IT Competence skills Essential, ideally with knowledge of Group Engineering systems (e.g. Tais, Prisma, DZA etc) • Business/technical German language would be advantageous.
· Good Interpersonal Skills are a prerequisite to effectively manage and motivate a professional engineering team to deliver our defined often tight Bespoke business targets.
· Occasional travel is required to UK suppliers and Offices in Munich, Germany.